Does your stuffy nose drive you crazy and make you feel miserable?
You may wonder how this happens and what can you do about this stuffed-up situation! You could end up having sinus congestion in many ways, when the membranes inside your nasal passage and sinus or the blood vessels inside are irritated or inflamed, or if dust, bacteria, or fungus get into the paranasal sinuses. Then the membranes start producing more mucus to clear out the passage, that’s how you get a clogged nose and sinus congestion.
When you’re at work or attending some social activities, having sinus congestion can be a pretty hectic and exhausting situation to handle. There are so many reasons that can leave you with sinus with pressure, pain, and an uncomfortable state, such as allergies, Cold, Viruses, Pollutants in the air, Fungi, Flu, even eating some non-resistant food. And the stress from the congestion can also make it worse.
If you’re wondering how to clear sinus congestion and get rid of the uncomfortable and nagging situation, this article might have a solution for you!
At a glance
How to get rid of sinus congestion
- Use a humidifier or vaporizer
- Take long showers or breathe in steam from a pot of warm water
- Drink lots of fluids
- Avoid caffeine
- Eat spicy foods
- Say no to alcohol
- Use a nasal saline spray
- Place a warm, wet towel on your face
- Prop yourself up
- Avoid chlorinated pools
How to clear sinus congestion naturally- how to open blocked sinuses
Maybe you’re suffering from sinus congestion right now and you have no idea what should really be done to clear it up! Here are some steps you can follow that are suggested by the doctors:
- Drink enough liquid- It will dilute the secretions of mucus in your nasal passages and promote drainage and ease you get relief from sinus pressure.
- Take a hot shower- It will reduce inflammation if you have, widen your stiff blood vessels around the sinus
- Use a saline sprayer- The saltwater from the spray will keep the nasal passage from drying out.
- Use a wet and warm towel- The warmth will help your sinus to widen up and drain the mucus.
- Use a Humidifier or Vaporizer- Get a humidifier device and use it to vaporize water into moisture and breath inside the moisture. It will soothe the swollen blood vessels in your sinuses.
- Use nose cleaning devices- If you need to have a quick-relief from sinus congestion.
How long can a sinus infection last if not treated?
Usually, sinusitis is classified by two types as Chronic and Acute and they stand for the naming and they both act differently as well.
The acute sinusitis is known as less long-term sinusitis as it lasts about 7 to 10 days at most and the symptoms and inflammation develop quicker than Chronic sinusitis. It is caused by a viral infection and the illness can last as long as 4 weeks because of the bacterial infection.
On the other hand, Chronic sinusitis can last way more than Acute sinusitis and the time period could be up to 12 weeks or even more! In fact, as some people even say they are never out of the grasp of the sinus problem for years, it can be a never-ending sinusitis problem for some as you might have it all your life.
Can you have a sinus infection and bronchitis at the same time? How to tell if Bronchitis is Turning into Pneumonia?
What happens if you let a sinus infection go untreated?
When it comes to Chronic or long-term Sinusitis, According to the American Rhinologic Society, Sinusitis is the most common chronic illness approximately 15 percent among people in the USA. This data refers to the outrage of the sinusitis problem.
The short-time sinusitis aka Acute sinusitis is one of the most alarming medical situations in the US! Because, according to the ACAAI, people have spent over $150 million dollars just on prescription medications and over-the-counter medication, the amount is over a billion-dollar!
When you don’t treat sinus problems, it’s not too dangerous most of the time. However, a sinus infection can become a dangerous one. The acute sinus problem becomes Chronic and spread some serious health problems such as:
- You may end up decreasing your sense of smell.
- The cyst can completely block your sinuses and nose, which is made of mucus in the nasal passage.
- You could even end up getting infections in your Nose, Eyes or even the infection could spread into your brain.
How to clear sinus congestion?
5 best nasal care to clear sinus congestion
“Finally, I can sleep again, this is an absolute lifesaver for me, no more Afrin” –Orlando R. Delgado
The Navage Nasal Care Essentials Bundle can finally set you free from life long nasal congestion. You’ll find it cleaning out every drop of mucus and give you the life of a regular person without seasonal allergy symptoms.
If you want to get rid of sinus congestion within minutes, getting the Navage Nasal Care Bundle would be a great choice as it comes with a nose cleaner, a SaltPod, and salt capsules that help to clear out unwanted blockages. It helps you get a full clearance through your nasal passages without any drugs. The built-in power suction effectively sucks all the mucus, germs and dust inside the sinus just with a push of a button, so It’s worth every dime you spend on it.
Although this is a very easy device to operate, you should go through the manual or watch a video guide before using it. Don’t use this for kids under 12 and stop using it immediately if you feel any pain while using it. See a doctor if the pain continues.
“This is a Godsend! Almost no nasal discharge after 37 years of suffering. Expensive, but worth my money” –Marni Emack
The Nasal Care Bundle by Navage can give you natural relief from chronic sinus congestion and seasonal allergic nasal problem. The included salt pods will effectively clear out the nasal clogs while the power vacuum will suck out every disposable and give you complete freedom to breathe and talk easily.
This nasal care doesn’t operate like a Neti Pot, Getting used to it may take a little while. You have to put the SaltPod on the countertop and push firmly on it, now push the button under your right thumb. The power suction system will pull the saline water from the upper deck and go inside the nasal passage, clear out every bit of dust, germs, mucus, and other things that make you suffer. It takes a few seconds to get rid of the pain and uncomfortable without any drug.
Using it while you have infections in the ear, or full blockage in your ear or nasal passage is not recommended. Children under the age of 12 should not use it, as the safety precautions of this product say.
“comfypot stands for its name! It works practically for sinus irrigation. Make sure you add salt!” –Janis Tulk
We always want our Neti Pot to be easy to clean as well as easy to use because it’s not a luxury item to spend a lot of time with. Thanks to its easy-cleaning design. Flushing out the toxins from your sinus is now way easier and cheaper in the long run with comfypot as you are getting a lifelong solution with a one-time investment.
The comfypot is designed to keep your sinus clear life long without reinvestment, well, if don’t break it! It’s made with dishwasher-friendly Ceramic instead of plastic, which is great. It comes with silicone nozzles to give you a comfy feeling. The conical tip design makes it easy to operate when you pour it with about 250 ML water. Use warm and water with Neti Salt for a better comfortable feeling.
Handle it with care and don’t drop it onto a hard surface as it’s made with breakable ceramic. Make sure you order additional Neti Salt as not included with it. And contact the seller for a refund if it came broken or something unexpected comes out.
“Never thought I’d use it, but after trying it once, my long sinus congestion and headache are gone, this is purely an allergy season savior” -K Griffee
This cordless portable nasal congestion clearer will let you breathe free. It works really well when you have chronic nasal congestion, sinus pressure if you have a stuffy or Runny nose. It will clear out every dust and germ particles that get into your nose while exposed to germs.
The neilmed Sinugator can be poured with 240 ML water, make sure you use distilled or microfiltered water. Using process is pretty easy, insert the batteries, fill the reservoir with water up to the line marked as 8 ounces, pour in the Premixed powder, screw in the Sinugator, mix it well. Place in the tip of your Sinugator on a nostril and push in the button. It will clear up everything inside the passage and push them out with your other nostril.
Although it’s very comfortable and easy to use, takes about a minute for the whole process, but you shouldn’t use it if you have a completely blocked nose, infection or pain in the ear, don’t use it for kids under 4 years and it’s not usable without bending over a sink.
“Sinus rinsing became very easy now with this special device. No leaks, Mess-free and tons easier to use than a plastic Neti Pot” -George Lowery
The good thing about tonelife Sinus Rinse Kit is, it’s compatible with your child’s nasal congestion and pregnant women also can use it with no suffocation. It can effectively recover you from sinus pain and congestion by clearing out all the dirt, dust, and mucus that is blocking out the normal breathing.
Unlike any other Neti pot, this one works in a way simpler process with start/stop button yet where you have full control over the tool as you control it by hand. It comes with a double nozzle for both adults and children. And, as it comes with a 300 ML bottle, you don’t have to worry about running out of precious Nasal-Salt mixed water. It’s specially designed not to get any leakage under the bootle by adding extra sealing around all the parts.
It comes with a dust cap, make sure you seal the nozzle with it in order to keep the nozzle out of contact with the dust in the air. This Neti pot doesn’t come with any Neti-Salt, you have to buy that separately, so that’s a downside for sure!
Buying Guide– nasal care products
There are some certain things from above-reviewed nasal care products that you should consider having in your nasal care tool.
1.Age group and restrictions
Some of the Nasal carers aren’t designed to use for children. If you are getting it for your child, make sure the specifications allow you to do so. If your child is 4 years old or more, Neilmed Sinugator is a good choice to go with. It’s designed for all age group people.
Decide which one you will be most comfortable with by going through the specs. A Neti Pot like Comfypot will need a bit of effort, but it’s a cost-effective solution. However, a power-driven one will be a better choice if you want a more efficient and time-effective solution to your nasal congestion.
Decide which one makes you feel more safe with safety precautions. If you aren’t sure that you’ll be able to control the pressure of a power-driven one, you can go for a median one with more control with it, such as tonelife.
The design of your nasal caregiver also plays a role if you need to carry it around. Tonelife has a watertight design with a big reservoir from 300-500 ml and a dust cap as well! You can take it inside your bag anywhere making sure for a day without nasal congestion.
How to drain sinuses naturally
How to get rid of a stuffy nose fast without medicine? There are a lot of ways that will help you drain your sinus in a natural way. Depending on how badly you’re stuck with a stuffy nose, you can try these options:
- Try to flush out the mucus from your sinus, use a humidifier before trying it in order to ease the nasal passage.
- Use a Neti Pot to each of the nostrils to drain out the stuffy mucus inside the sinus.
- Drinking a lot of fluid and getting a hot shower will also help you big time and help you drain out the sinus.
Sinus infection causes
There are so many reasons for your nose to end up getting a Sinus infection. Sinus infection doesn’t build up in one day, it is more a result of stubborn sinus congestion and nasal clogs. But there are some severe reasons that trigger a sinus infection, such as:
- Sinusitis is caused by Viruses and bacteria most of the time, antibiotics help you with them, but the symptoms will still be there. So, use some decongestant.
- If you have allergies and getting some cold, both combined can lead you to a sinus infection.
- If you have nasal polyps, this can be a serious reason to get sinusitis.
- Unusual activities like Smoking, Flying high, swimming and diving deep with too much pressure can lead you to a sinus infection.
Nasal congestion relief – home remedies for sinus congestion
If you get encounter sinus congestion often, you cannot run after your doctor 24/7. You can use some home remedies to clear out your nasal clogs and sinus congestion. Such as:
- Start drinking fresh water as much as you can, it will flush out the viruses, keep you hydrated and thin out the mucus.
- Take a long and warm shower to warm up inside and clear out if any blood clots available in the head area
- Use a neti pot to drain out the mucus from the nasal passages
- Place a wet, warm cloth on your face and nose and breath
- Always keep a nasal care tool with Neti-salt or Salt-Pod.
How to clear blocked nose at night
If you get a blocked nose every night before you go to sleep, follow these simple ways to keep it easy-going and be able to sleep:
- If the congestion is not too much, use a Nasal Strip, it will help you open up the nasal passages.
- If it’s blocking your breathing completely, just use a decongestant, like a neti pot or a Saline rinse with saline salt.
- Keep your head elevated while going to sleep, or you will have to wake up again and again.
- Use a vaporizer in your bedroom if possible, this will help you sleep faster without congestion.
- Get hydrated before going to sleep and eat something spicy to naturally clear out the blockage.
How to clear sinuses pressure points
This is a very effective and tested solution to the sinus congestion for some people, you can try this if it’s working on your case.
- First, push your hard palate with your tongue and keep it that way.
- At the same time, create pressure in between your eyes and do these two at the same time
- Do this for about 20 seconds and hopefully, sinus congestion will drain the mucus.
- This method doesn’t work for everyone, just try it if you get lucky.
How to cure sinus congestion – nasal congestion treatment
Try to get rid of the congestion with home remedies we mentioned earlier. Here are some possible scenarios, when you must consult a doctor and home remedies aren’t enough at this stage:
- If your nasal congestion lasting for more than 10 days in a row.
- If you are having a high fever with congestion for 3 days or more.
- If you are getting green nasal discharge and pain simultaneously.
There a number of possible treatments for nasal congestion, depending on how bad the situation is, the doctor may suggest these treatments:
- Medications for allergies such as cetirizine or loratadine.
- Use of nasal spray containing antihistamine.
- It can even be antibiotics if the situation is that bad.
Why nasal congestion at night in the worst condition
Nasal congestion is caused by the swelling in the nasal cavities due to inflammation in the blood vessels and the built-up mucus to clear the swollen situation. This process becomes worse while you lie down on your back.
- Your posture while lying down motivates the nasal passage and sinus to build up more mucus in your nasal cavity.
- The gravity isn’t helping you drain more nasal mucus, they are stuck in the nasal passage.
- Respiratory infection also can cause Sinus congestion at night, Sings are: Continuous Cold, sinus infection or a flu
- If you have respiratory allergies or fever, it will become worse while lying down.
- If you have Nasal polyp, they can grow inside your nasal cavity, get bigger and cause Severe nasal congestion.
- If you’re pregnant and getting nasal congestion out of nowhere, it’s because of the hormonal changes that affect the blood flow in the nasal cavity.
How to get rid of a stuffy nose instantly
Getting rid of a stuffy nose instantly is easy if you take these steps and try out which one works for you the best.
- Get a gentle and warm shower, the hot water and steam on the nasal area will help you drain the stubborn mucus and the dust inside.
- Drink a lot of water and make sure the water is a little warm, mix some salt before drinking.
- Use a neti pot with Neti-salt-mixed purified water to drain out the mucus inside.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to ease the nasal area to drain the sinus.
How to get rid of a stuffy nose fast without medicine
You don’t always have to run to the doctor every time you get a stuffy nose. You can get rid of your stuffy nose and sinus congestion to a level that is covered earlier. If it’s not a serious medical issue yet, Use one of these methods:
- Use a nasal care medical device that will help you drain out the stubborn mucus and clear the nasal passage with salted warm water.
- You can use a Sinus Rinse Kit to Rinse the stuffy nasal passage, this will definitely help you to get clear breathing.
How do you clear a congested nose?
- Drink a lot of fluid, warm water is better.
- Get a warm shower and use a humidifier to ease the nasal passage.
- Use a Neti Pot to drain out all the mucus and clear out the congested nasal passage.
- If a neti pot isn’t enough, use a power nasal care to drain out the nasal congestion.
How do you massage or press to drain sinuses?
- Rub your hands together and warm them up, place the middle and pointer finger together firmly on the cheeks close to the nasal passage and massage in a circular motion for 2 minutes.
- Place your Thumb on the indentation of your eye sockets right in the middle and create pressure on the point.
- Now use your pointy finger and massage directly on the congestion point under the eyebrow. Massage in circular motion and press firmly and keep your eyes closed.
How can I unblock my sinuses naturally?
- Take a bowl full of hot water in it, and turn turtle while placing a wet towel over your back of your head, lean on the vaporizing steam and breath heavily.
- Keep yourself hydrated all the time with maximum ease on the sinus.
- Also, try draining the sinus with a sinus decongestant to rinse out the nasal passage.
How can I reduce sinus inflammation?
- When sinuses become chronic, you will start getting sinus inflammations in the long term, so it’s important to keep it as low as possible all the time.
- Make sure you drink enough, eat more immune-boosting foods, use a vaporizer, use nasal saline spray and other sinus care tools, use warm towel therapy.
- If inflation goes up, You can take Ibuprofen, it’s a widely-used anti-inflammatory drug that reduces the hormones that cause the inflammation.
How do you get rid of a congested throat?
- Gargling with salted water, make sure the water is tolerably warm, it will clear the phlegm which is hanging on the back of your throat.
- The mixture of the water and salt should be 1-3 teaspoons of salt in a cup of water.
- Also, keep the air moist and keep your head elevated to keep out from making it even worse.
- Drink plenty of warm water and use a nasal saline spray to clear out.
- Put a warm wet microfiber cotton cloth on your whole face and breath.
What helps a congested throat?
- When you have a congested throat, eat immune-boosting food and drink a lot of liquid (warm water is best).
- Taking a hot shower and steam breathing can help you clear out a congested nose and throat.
- Use saline nasal sprays and gargle with saltwater.
- Consult a doctor if the congestion is out of control and you are getting too much irritation.
What helps a congested throat naturally?
- Don’t let your head down while laying, it will increase the congestion in the nasal area and the throat.
- Eat fruits and keep out the foods that cause acid reflux to avoid an increase in phlegm and don’t touch alcohol and caffeine.
- Gargle with a glass of water 2-3 teaspoonful of salt mixed in it.
What should you do to clear frontal sinuses?
- Before medication, try massaging and pressing methods on the frontal location of the pain and congestion.
- Frontal sinuses can be taken down by proper medications like phenylephrine, oxymetazoline, they effectively dry and shrink off the mucous membranes and release them.
- Keep away from the allergen if it’s caused by allergies and uses antihistamines and corticosteroid nasal saline sprays.
- If you end up getting an infection, consult a doctor and start with antibiotics to cure.
With proper medication and care, even if you are suffering from sinus infections, it will take about 1-2 weeks to clear out. But, to achieve that, you have to take very good care of your nasal area, nasal passage and the sinus itself. Keep out of dust, rust, and irritation completely. Make sure you keep your nasal congestion clear with the help of nasal care devices and home remedies.